Planning a grassroots event in your hometown helps to promote awareness of BCCNS in your community and raises much-needed funds for the BCCNS Alliance. Although planning your event can seem daunting at times, the BCCNS Alliance staff is here to help! Explore ideas and get creative by reading over these quick tips for hosting a fundraiser.
Get the Balloons and Decorations Ready!
These 4 steps will help you get your event started!
- Contact the BCCNS Alliance. The staff at the BCCNS Alliance is here to help you organize your fundraiser, each step of the way—from brainstorming what kind of event to hold, to helping promote your event in the community, to reaching out to other BCCNS families in your geographic area.
- Think of Something that Interests You. Do you love bingo? Do you love to bake? Perhaps a rousing game of kickball is more your speed. When thinking of what type of event to organize, always pick something that interests you, your friends and family. This adds even more fun to the planning process. Need some help brainstorming? Check out our event ideas below.
- Get the Word Out. Invite your friends, school or church community. A grassroots fundraiser is the perfect way to reconnect with old friends and make new ones. It’s also a great way to help your friends understand more about the syndrome. The BCCNS Alliance will help promote your event to local BCCNS members near your hometown, too!
Cue the lights, it’s party time! Not only will you have a fun and rewarding day with your family and friends, but you will also be spreading awareness about BCCNS in your hometown.
Picking Your Event Theme
You know that you want to help the BCCNS Alliance and the BCCNS community, but you may be unsure as to what type of a fundraising event you should hold. Here is a list of event ideas brainstormed by some of our superstar Grassroots Fundraisers. All of these event ideas are easy to organize and a great way to get your feet wet in fundraising.
Lots of restaurants in your area host dinners for charity organizations. Call your favorite dining location to see if they would donate a portion of their proceeds within a certain time frame. Most likely, the restaurant will provide you with flyers to pass out to your family and friends.
Dress Down Day
Does your office or school allow employees to dress down? Suggest that they dress down for a cause! Employees could make a $5 donation to wear jeans on a designated day. Make sure to tell all employees about the worthwhile cause they are supporting by going casual.
Reach out to your child’s school or your alma mater to host a “BCC or Skin Cancer Awareness Day.” For a flat donation, say $1 or $5, you can wear crazy socks, a silly hat, or hand out a bead necklace for the day. The BCCNS Alliance office can also provide brochures for you to distribute.
Garage Sale/ E-Bay Sale
Want to do some spring cleaning for a cause? Gather up some of your children’s old toys, furniture, knick-knacks and other unused household items and have a garage sale or sell the items on e-Bay. Invite your neighbors or friends to participate as well. Be sure to publicize that the proceeds from the yard sale will benefit the BCCNS Alliance.
Host an Online Fundraiser
The BCCNS Alliance office can help you set up a personal fundraising webpage. Here you can share your story and your connection to the BCCNS Alliance with your family and friends. Simply post the link to your fundraising webpage on your social media sites and watch the donations roll in. This can be a great way to celebrate your birthday or special time, like Skin Cancer Awareness Month.
Want to learn more? Check out this Grassroots Fundraising Guide. Ready to start planning? Contact the BCCNS Alliance office at 267.689.6443 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteers are the heart of the BCCNS Alliance. They help welcome individuals into our community, spread awareness of BCCNS in their neighborhood and raise funds to help us reach our mission. There are many ways you can be involved in the BCCNS Alliance.
- Fundraise. When you organize a grassroots event, you are raising awareness of BCCNS and the BCCNS Alliance in your hometown. From holding a bake sale to hosting a dress down day at your office – there are many ways to help raise much needed funds to further our mission. To learn more about Grassroots Fundraising, click here (link to Grassroots Guide PDF)
- Tell Your Story. What role has BCCNS played in your life? How have you continued to thrive after your BCCNS diagnosis? When an individual with BCCNS opens up and shares these inspirational moments with others, we create meaningful connections. Your story will bring hope and encouragement to a newly-diagnosed individual and their family. Please keep your submissions to 500 words or less and send it to email@example.com.
- Share Your Skills. Are you a graphic designer? Do you have SEO experience? Are you a technical writer? Do you have a social work, counseling or medical background? There are many ways you can share your professional skills with the BCCNS Alliance. Volunteer your skills to better serve our community as we further develop new content for the BCCNS Alliance website, newsletter and social media sites.
As the BCCNS Alliance grows, so will the opportunities for you to get involved. Be sure to check back here often for new volunteer needs. If you have any questions, please contact the BCCNS Alliance office at firstname.lastname@example.org.